True Facility Management encompasses a huge portion of any business and the procedures to enable its seamless operation, other than routine maintenance stuff. Facility Management involves the procedures of managing and maintaining the facilities of an organisation, which range from the complex, physical resources at the office or the company site to the mechanical as well as electrical utilities that can cause health and safety hazard to the employees of the organisation. Managing the facilities of an organisation is of utmost importance because when a business deals with coordination of manpower as well as synchronisation of assets and supplies; the health and safety responsibilities weigh paramount.
The crucial factors which deem maximum importance to facility management can be enumerated below.
- Increasing the cost-efficiency of the business
- Managing health and safety requirements of the employees and other personnel involved in the business
- Enhancing the life-span of the assets
- Monitoring and maintenance of compliance.
Importance of Facility Managers to an organisation :
Facility managers define the operations of facility management by creating the foundation, developing the processes, working on enhancing the skill levels of the employees who form a team and also realising the organisational objectives and goals by delivering a healthy financial bottom line.
Most of the facility management practitioners or facility managers are plagued regularly with the dilemma of managing a lot of tasks within extremely narrow timespans. The tasks might involve a lot of important opportunities to pursue, an immense number of problems to solve and even numerous projects to work on. All of these simultaneously demand a lot of time from the facility managers.
Importance of time management for facility managers :
The mounting pressure to meet the goals of the organisation in all aspects forces the facility managers and their teams to rethink the importance of time and squeeze the most out of each passing moment. Though in a lot of circumstances, time management can be deemed as merely common sense, yet it is difficult to inculcate efficient time management in daily practice.
The different practices that can make time management task easy and help the facility managers as well as other staff to incorporate these habits effectively, so as to boost the overall productivity and the net profit of the organisation, can be summarised below.
- incorporating the benefits of automation in the work order processes – Automating the work order process essentially means taking out people and thereby eliminating manual errors, thus ensuring that nothing gets overlooked or missed. The benefits of automation lie in the fact that creating, tracking, editing and automatically communicating work orders to the facility gets eased and this helps in improving the speed and finesse of the operations.
- Developing a checklist for completion of all types of work throughout the facility – The routine of creating lists for all types of work and checking them once the various parts of the work are done, is a valuable habit to imbibe and can introduce lean management strategies into the system, thereby giving the facility managers control over time and consistency over maintenance and management activities.
- Putting the inventory tracking in place and in order – The best in class facility managers always have a streamlined inventory tracking system in place through the use of the CMMS software and since the system alerts the concerned personnel about what is in store and what is not; it helps in saving a lot of time.
- Producing work schedules – Preventive maintenance scheduling imparts a lot of change in the working environment. The presence of highly effective facility managers is a growing demand these days with the availability of innovative solutions. Preventive maintenance solutions can be used to effectively create, track and manage facility management issues and allow a view into the routine maintenance, associated materials and the equipment. Thus producing a work schedule helps in saving a lot of additional time.
- Ensuring the completion of all work on schedule – Putting the preventive maintenance solution in place and implementing automation in the work order system helps in creating a conducive environment in which all work is completed as scheduled.
- Active Inspection of all associated equipment – Inspecting all the necessary equipment that is used in implementing the various organisational operations is a huge part of preventive maintenance efforts and helps in saving a lot of time.
- Digital documentation of details of all work for historical reference – As a responsible professional, a facility manager has access to most of the progressive systems in use at workplaces which offer sturdy and comprehensive reporting for all types of specific management requirements. Access to the detailed statistics as well as maintenance data gives the facility manager all the relevant information that he requires. This insight into the operations will undoubtedly increase their efficiency. Storing of all this information will also be deemed valuable for future reference and saving valuable time.
Thus time management skills are essential for a facility management professional and should be imparted to maximise the productivity of the organisation by enhancing the operational efficiency of all the elements of the organisation.